Powered By Blogger

4/27/10

flying at last...

 
The first days in Santa Barbara were filled with bad weather, thus, I was un able to partake in any flying my first couple days here. While waiting for the weather to clear, I knocked out 5 hours of ground school and explored Santa Barbara and the area around it.  Once the weather began to cooperate, I made my way over to Elings Park to start paragliding. I started out with a paragliding simulator. I went through all the main tasks that I would need to know without any risks. Afterwards, I got out my glider and went through the preflight steps. Everything was a little confusing at first, but it all began to sink in after a while.
            Soon enough, I was getting ready for my first flight. I ran the steps through:
1. A-risers in my right, C-risers in my left and brake in both hands
2. Build a wall
3. Full inflate and let go of the risers
4. Go to contact
5. Turn around and lean forward
6. Steady acceleration while keeping the wing level using the brakes           
7. Start running faster
8. lift off and start flying.
            The first couple flights were a sensory overload, but I began feeling more and more comfortable in the air. Flying is an indescribable feeling, especially when flying something like a paraglider. In a paraglider, it’s only you, you gear and the wind. I love how hours of fun can be attained without using any other recourses other than the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment